Monday, August 22, 2011

Time and Tide Wait for No One


Whenever anyone tells me, "hurry up!" or "you're wasting time" or "how long you take"... it cheeses me off. I mean...if I'm wasting time, isn't it mine? Yes, I know, that if I am making someone else wait, then I am wasting their time as well as mine...but seriously! How can a few minutes here or there matter? Right?

Well, 'time' has proven me wrong! I mean, really! Everyone who knows me knows that more often than not, there always is something that results in me being late - used to be my pet, then my nephew, now my kiddo... But, these very reasons for me being late have also given me my wake up call about time. For instance, while logically I did know that Mickey was 14 years old - having proven his doctors wrong twice, he lived on for almost 3 years more...that was the 'time' I was granted with him...but he eventually left me, and in a real bad way, scarred me (more on that some day). I loved him, he loved me but he moved on.
Then there was my nephew, who after Mickey was the 'other man' in my life... Again, 'time' intervened...and now, though I still love my nephew to pieces, he's no longer the cuddly little boy he was...'Time' has taught him that at 5, he's a 'big boy' and won't accept my hugs and kisses as eagerly as when he was 2, and most definitely not in public!
And now, my darling daughter...who, it feels like just yesterday, was placed in my arms at hospital and is almost 9 months now! Wow, 'time' just flew by! I still feel I haven't had enough of her smiles, her little finger holding mine, every tiny move, every little expression (I'm sure the 2500+ pix I have of hers prove me wrong) but... again 'time' has moved on while I'd like to be ensconced in that warm, fuzzy feeling I had when I first saw her and counted her tiny little fingers and toes and was awestruck, and yes, again in love!

I realize that this is how life moves on. This is what people mean when they say 'time and tide wait for no one'... That still doesn't stop me from wishing I has some kind of a remote control or something that would help me pause, stop, rewind or forward time...to have and to hold and to relive just the those wonderful moments and memories that I look back fondly, and a tad too nostalgically on. I'd want time to go back and experience the feeling I did when I first fell head over heels in love with my husband, or when I laughed and laughed till I felt my bladder about to explode, or when I had that perfect chocolate cake or coffee, when I found that book I was so madly looking for, when I first found that perfect pair of jeans (that I haven't been able to find thereafter)...I guess the list is never ending..

And THAT precisely is why 'time' moves on... and we have to learn not to procrastinate (look who's talking!), not to yearn for what's passed but to look forward to and create new memories, have many more such 'moments' and cherish every little thing we can about life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment